Education from a country outside Sweden

To obtain authorisation as an authorised electrician you must meet an education requirement and a practical experience requirement. The requirements are contained in the National Electrical Safety Board's authorisation regulations ELSÄK-FS 2017:4.

If you received your education in a country other than Sweden, all documents must be submitted in the original language. A translation must also be provided if the documents are in a language other than Swedish, English, Norwegian, Finnish or Danish.

The following must be sent to the National Electrical Safety Board:

1. Application

The application is made via one of our e-services. In the application, you must state which authorisation type you are applying for. It is also important that you attach education certificates and attestations confirming your practical experience. Practical experience gained outside the EEA or Switzerland can not be credited in an application for authorisation.

How to apply

2. Education certificates

In order to meet the education requirement, your education must satisfy the theoretical requirements stipulated in the National Electrical Safety Board’s authorisation regulations.
So that the National Electrical Safety Board can assess your education, the application must be accompanied by the following:

  • Copy of your official degree, diploma or qualification certificate - in the original language and in translation.
  • Copy of your official personal academic record showing the content of your studies - in the original language and in translation.

3. Attestations confirming practical experience

Include attestations confirming that you have the practical experience required for the authorisation type you are applying for. Note that at least half the period of practical experience must be undertaken in Sweden. The remaining time can be credited if the practical experience is undertaken in another EEA country or in Switzerland. The form specified by the National Electrical Safety Board must be used to attest the practical experience. The forms are different depending on whether the practical experience:

Practical experience undertaken outside the EEA or Sweden cannot be credited for an application for authorisation.

Assessment based on regulatory requirements

Your application will be assessed in accordance with the National Electrical Safety Board's regulations ELSÄK-FS 2017:4.

ELSÄK-FS 2017:4

Last reviewed: 2021-04-26